Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Farage will not attend count over plans to ‘disrupt result’

Farage said police warned of a credible threat as he claimed a convincing win and said the vote drew 34 candidates.

  • On Friday, the Clacton by-election count began at Clacton Leisure Centre, with Reform UK leader Nigel Farage claiming he won "fairly convincingly" while avoiding the event citing security concerns.
  • Following intense scrutiny of his financial affairs, Farage resigned as MP last month, triggering the by-election after investigations into undisclosed gifts including a £5 million donation from cryptocurrency tycoon Christopher Harborne.
  • A record 34 candidates contested the seat, requiring 90cm-long ballot papers and larger tables at the count. Acting Returning Officer Ian Davidson confirmed a provisional turnout of 43 percent.
  • Farage claimed victory against the "establishment," yet declined to attend the count after Essex Police warned him of an "organised campaign to disrupt and degrade the result."
  • Results are expected between 5am and 7am as the count continues at an estimated cost of £250,000 to taxpayers, with an electorate of around 75,000 awaiting the outcome.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

79 Articles

Center

Nigel Farage, the leader of the far-right Reform UK party, seemed to find his election campaign so humiliating that he didn't even come to say thank you, writes Britain correspondent Kirsi Crowley.

·Helsinki, Finland
Read Full Article
Lean Left

United Kingdom: National populist Nigel Farage wins by-election in Clacton – and skipped the announcement of the result

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 39% of the sources are Center
39% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

NZ Herald broke the news in Auckland, New Zealand on Friday, August 14, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal