Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Gaza death toll in early part of war far higher than reported, says Lancet study

The study found 75,200 violent deaths and 16,300 non-violent deaths in Gaza up to early 2025, attributing undercounting to infrastructure collapse and disrupted records.

  • On January 5, 2025, the Lancet study found 75,200 violent deaths in Gaza up to early 2025, with 16,300 non-violent deaths, about 50% higher than the Gaza Ministry of Health's count.
  • Destroyed hospitals and missing records hinder accurate casualty reporting as bombarded Gaza hospitals and health services caused 'grey zone' deaths, while power infrastructure and administrative records loss worsened reporting barriers.
  • The Gaza Mortality Survey interviewed 2,000 families to measure population change since October 7, and study authors included economists, demographers and epidemiologists, with Palestinian interviewers due to sensitivity.
  • Gaza civilians face a heavy demographic toll as 42,200 women, children and the elderly were killed, while recovering bodies is hampered by limited equipment, mutilation and fractured social networks.
  • Israel disputes the counts, saying over 72,000, while a senior Israeli security officer told journalists last month that figures from Gaza health authorities were mostly accurate, though some analyses suggest totals could be 40% lower.
Insights by Ground AI

17 Articles

kreiszeitung.dekreiszeitung.de
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Center

The Lancet study is the first study in Gaza to use independent population-based surveys, not based on death certificates.

Lean Right

The true death toll in Gaza during the first sixteen months of the war is significantly higher than previously reported. A study in the medical journal The Lancet shows that at least 25,000 more victims were killed than reported at the time. This means that by early February 2025, at least 75,000 people had lost their lives.

·Stockholm, Sweden
Read Full Article
Far Left

This study and others show that the number of deaths reported by health sources in Gaza may be lower than the actual number due to the destruction of the infrastructure for registration.

Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 37% of the sources are Center, 36% of the sources lean Right
37% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Telegraph broke the news in London, United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal