Ebola outbreak in Congo spreading exponentially as death toll surpasses 2,500, UN coordinator says
The outbreak has killed more than 2,500 people and spread faster than any previous Ebola epidemic, the United Nations said.
- The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is spreading three times faster than the 2014-2016 West Africa epidemic, marking it as the fastest-growing outbreak on record.
- Caused by the Bundibugyo variant, the 17th recorded DRC outbreak remained undetected until May because diagnostic errors led doctors to misattribute patient symptoms to malaria, typhus, or seasonal flu.
- More than 5,100 infections and 2,420 deaths have been recorded since the outbreak began, with Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention Director Jean Kaseya noting 60% to 70% of fatalities occur in communities rather than hospitals.
- Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine to support containment efforts, yet the World Health Organization warns it has secured only 60% of the $115 million required for the full epidemic response.
- Although early laboratory and animal data suggest Ervebo may provide some protection against Bundibugyo, the lack of an approved vaccine for this strain and rapid community transmission remain significant obstacles to containment.
110 Articles
110 Articles
Death Toll in Ebola Outbreak Tops 2,500, Becomes Second-Deadliest in History
The death toll in the Ebola outbreak in Central Africa has surpassed 2,500, authorities said on Aug. 21. Officials have confirmed 2,516 deaths, Congo’s government said in an update. Practically all of the cases and deaths in the outbreak have occurred in Congo, a large nation of around 124 million people that borders the Central African Republic and Uganda, among other countries. Several deaths were logged in Uganda earlier in the year. No case…
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — The Ebola outbreak spreading at an unprecedented rate in the Democratic Republic of Congo has not yet peaked and could be three times larger than previously known…
Ebola spreading exponentially in Congo as death toll tops 2,500, UN says
With emergency funds set to run dry within weeks, front-line responders in the Democratic Republic of Congo are facing escalating violence and conspiracy theories while attempting to contain the Bundibugyo Ebola strain.
DR Congo Ebola outbreak may be three times larger than reported
Africa CDC says the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo has not yet peaked and may be far larger than reported. The warning highlights deep gaps in detection, contact tracing and early community reporting.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 41% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






































