Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Ebola Outbreak Becomes Deadliest in DR Congo's History

Authorities said the outbreak has killed 2,325 people and infected 4,945, with most new cases found outside contact tracing networks.

  • On Sunday, government data showed the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2018-2020 outbreak to become the deadliest in the country's history.
  • Caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, this outbreak has no approved vaccines or treatments. Declared on May 15, weak health infrastructure and community resistance have fueled its spread.
  • The case fatality ratio has risen from about 20% in early June to 46%, meaning nearly one in every two confirmed cases is fatal. Confirmed cases reached 4,945, including 101 new cases in the previous 24 hours.
  • Thomas Parisch, a public health specialist with Medecins Sans Frontieres, stated that cases are detected late, "when treatment is less likely to succeed, with many identified only after they die in the community."
  • Congo's 17th outbreak is dwarfed only by West Africa's 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak, which recorded 11,310 deaths. While the virus previously spread to Uganda, authorities there limited deaths to two and declared the outbreak over last month.
Insights by Ground AI

231 Articles

Center

BUNIA, Congo (AP) — A rapidly spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has claimed the lives of more than 2,300 people, making it the deadliest outbreak on record in the nation…

·Calhoun, United States
Read Full Article
Lean Left

2,325 confirmed Ebola deaths in Congo-Kinshasa. The death toll now surpasses the 2018 outbreak, while a new vaccine is being developed in the UK. “I want to do my bit,” says Briton Ed Hunt, who was the first to receive the vaccine.

·Stockholm, Sweden
Read Full Article
Center

Since May, 2,325 deaths and 4,945 confirmed cases have been registered at a rate that worries the WHO.

Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 41% of the sources lean Left
41% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Washington Examiner broke the news in Washington, United States on Wednesday, August 12, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal