Philippine VP Duterte Hit with Criminal Charge over Marcos 'Threat'
The case stems from alleged threats Duterte made in 2024 press conferences and is also cited in her impeachment articles.
- On Tuesday, the DOJ filed a 'Grave Threats' complaint against Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte at the Quezon City Regional Trial Court. DOJ spokesperson Polo Martinez confirmed the filing originated from an NBI investigation.
- Duterte allegedly claimed last year during a press conference that she hired an assassin to kill President Ferdinand Marcos, First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos, and House Speaker Martin Romualdez, prompting the NBI investigation.
- Under Philippine Law, a conviction for 'Grave Threats' carries a jail term of between one and six months. The matter is also central to Article IV of the Articles of Impeachment currently before the Senate.
- Lawyer Paul Lawrence Lim argued Tuesday that the case cannot proceed while Duterte faces impeachment. However, Professor Dante Gatmaytan of the Philippines College of Law said, "nothing will stop the DOJ from proceeding with the criminal case."
- Tuesday marked Day 14 of the Senate impeachment trial, which also addresses graft and corruption charges. A guilty verdict would remove Duterte from Office and permanently bar her from elective politics.
18 Articles
18 Articles
Grave threats case vs Sara Duterte? What happens to her impeachment trial?
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice filed a grave threats case against Vice President Sara Duterte over her alleged remarks against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and family. Experts said this will not affect the ongoing impeachment trial because the impeachment process is different from criminal proceedings. Must Read Grave threats case filed vs Sara Duterte over assassination remarks …
Acquitted before the evidence
Before the Senate finishes hearing the case, some Filipinos have already acquitted Vice President Sara Duterte. No amount of testimony, audit finding, or receipt seems able to disturb their verdict. Political faith has closed the record. One need not look far, just scroll through your newsfeed in your socials and you will undoubtedly find one […]...Keep on reading: Acquitted before the evidence
In November 2024, the daughter of former President Rodrigo Duterte had claimed to be the victim of a assassination plot and to have ordered the elimination of Ferdinand Marcos Jr. if she was killed first.
Philippine VP Sara Duterte hit with criminal charge over Marcos 'threat'
MANILA: Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte was hit with a criminal charge on Tuesday (Aug 11) over an alleged death threat against the country's president, a key part of the case against her at her ongoing Senate impeachment trial.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
















