You are connecting from Lake Geneva Public Library, please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.
Published 5 hours ago • loading... • Updated 4 minutes ago
Disabled people to get free bus travel around the clock, Andy Burnham announces
The change will cost £60 million and let disabled people use free bus passes for morning commutes and weekend travel, ministers said.
Starting April 1, 2027, the Government will remove time restrictions on concessionary disabled bus passes across England, allowing eligible users 24 hours a day, seven days a week free travel.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham previously scrapped these restrictions in Greater Manchester earlier this year, while the current national system limits free travel to weekdays between 9.30am and 11pm.
This £60 million initiative, funded by the Department for Work and Pensions and the Department for Transport, aims to remove barriers to employment and education, Work and Pensions Secretary Pat McFadden said.
Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander said the move ends a "postcode lottery," noting "These passes are a lifeline for so many, helping them stay connected and get to work."
Liberal Democrat Tom Gordon welcomed the change as a "huge win for the disabled community," aligning with broader government plans including a £2 bus fare cap and free summer travel for children.