Death toll in mine collapse in Central African Republic rises to more than 100
Rescuers recovered more than 100 bodies as authorities opened an investigation into the collapse and warned the toll could rise.
- On Tuesday, a landslide at an artisanal gold mine in Zamboye, Nana-Mambere, Central African Republic, killed at least 100 people near the Cameroon border. Rescue operations are underway at the site.
- Officials attribute the disaster to the collapse of several underground tunnels where miners were working. Artisanal mining lacks sufficient protective measures, with pits frequently left unsealed and exposed to torrential rains.
- Mayor Adamou Abdon of Garoua-Boula reported that 107 bodies have been recovered from the rubble. Miner Cedric Mbango told AFP, "The ground completely collapsed and buried people," as rescuers search for others still trapped.
- Government spokesman Evariste Ngamana expressed sympathy, stating authorities are "working hard to provide relief and assistance." The Baboua sub-prefecture court opened an investigation to determine criminal liability for the mine's operation.
- Similar landslides at Be-Mbari in June and Ngourroum in mid-March claimed dozens of lives, highlighting recurring dangers for thousands of small-scale miners operating outside government control in the Central African Republic.
191 Articles
191 Articles
Video. New videos show deadly landslide burying gold miners in Central African Republic
Video. New videos filmed at the Zamboye mining site on 18 August appears to show the moment a landslide swept through an artisanal gold mine in the Central African Republic, burying miners beneath earth and sand.
Central African Republic closes gold mine after collapse kills 49
Mines Minister Rufin Beltoungou said the government would formally suspend activity at the site in Zamboye until further notice following the disaster on Tuesday. The post Central African Republic closes gold mine after collapse kills 49 appeared first on Vanguard News.
Central Africa shuts gold mine after deadly collapse
The Central African Republic has temporarily shut a gold mine near the Cameroonian border after a landslide killed dozens of people earlier this week, the country’s mines minister said Thursday. Rufin Benam-Beltoungou visited the Zamboye artisanal gold mine on Wednesday and put the official death toll at 49. The minister confirmed this included 34 Central Africans, 13 Cameroonians and two Chadians. Several local sources have told AFP that around…
Hopes fade after Central African Republic mine collapse kills dozens
BANGUI, Central African Republic — Hopes of finding survivors at a collapsed gold mine in Central African Republic were fading Thursday, two days after a disaster that local officials and the Red Cross said killed more than 100 people, although…
A landslide at a mining site on the border between the two countries on 18 August killed at least 100 people. The tragedy revives the debate over the failing control of gold-plating in Cameroon.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 38% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium








































