Gaza Peace Plan: Will US Pressure Israel to Accept It?
The roadmap ties disarmament to an Israeli withdrawal, but questions remain over custody, storage and verification, officials said.
- President Donald Trump's proposal for Gaza outlines a framework for Hamas's "complete disarmament" in exchange for a gradual Israeli withdrawal, yet the agreement leaves unresolved questions regarding the custody and conditions of surrendered weaponry.
- Historically, Hamas's legitimacy among Palestinians relies on armed resistance, which it defined in its 2017 charter as a "strategic choice." Recent polling shows 69% of Palestinians oppose the group's disarmament in the Gaza Strip.
- While the roadmap details phased dismantling of tunnels and heavy weapons, it fails to specify who will verify the process or hold custody of the arsenal. Israel maintains that weapons must leave Gaza before any military withdrawal can proceed.
- Israeli officials remain skeptical, with far-right defence and finance ministers proposing "nahal" outposts in northern Gaza. An Administration official stated that Trump would be "very disappointed" if Israel stood in the way of the disarmament process.
- According to reporters Waseem Abu Mahadi and Jacob Wirtschafter, defining who controls surrendered weapons remains the agreement's greatest obstacle. Whether this framework can bridge fundamental disagreements before implementation remains the critical test for the proposed peace plan.
33 Articles
33 Articles
The Prime Minister is under increasing pressure from his far-right coalition partners to reject the agreement.
The United States "has sent us a project, which we have not accepted: it is not our project," he commented.
Benyamin Netanyahu met on Monday with Donald Trump's "Peace Council". The far right ministers put pressure on the Prime Minister. A meeting of the security cabinet is scheduled for Thursday.
On Friday, Trump said a deal had been reached for the 'complete disarmament' of Hamas. But Israel is not on board with the plan.
After a long period of silence, the Israeli Prime Minister has now commented on Donald Trump's peace plan.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 44% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

































