Published • loading... • Updated
Church of England abandons proposals for same-sex blessing ceremonies
The Church of England cited theological and legal barriers for ending stand-alone same-sex blessings but will continue reviewing the issue amid ongoing internal debate.
- Earlier this month the General Synod formally abandoned proposals for stand-alone blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples, while allowing blessing prayers in ordinary Sunday services since 2023.
- The bishops of the Church of England said theological and legal barriers prevent stand-alone blessing ceremonies now, following years of bitter LLF debate and infighting, ending the process that cost 1.6m.
- The Reverend Charlie Baczyk-Bell said the Church had offered 'thin gruel' on gay marriage, and gay Christians testified about feeling unwelcome and leaving quietly, campaigners warned.
- Church leaders apologised for the hurt caused to both sides, and Archbishop of York Stephen Cottrell proposed a working group to continue discussions after apologising for pain caused.
- Earlier this month the Synod passed safeguarding reforms, including a revised Code of Practice for Bishop's Mission Orders, an independent safeguarding charity, and a Clergy Conduct Measure, to improve transparency and safety.
Insights by Ground AI
7 Articles
7 Articles
Coverage Details
Total News Sources7
Leaning Left0Leaning Right3Center1Last UpdatedBias Distribution75% Right
Bias Distribution
- 75% of the sources lean Right
75% Right
C 25%
R 75%
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium




