Australia Charges Two Chinese Nationals with Foreign Interference
The two suspects face up to 15 years for spying on a Buddhist group linked to a wider pattern of Chinese overseas surveillance, AFP said.
- The AFP charged two Chinese nationals yesterday with `reckless foreign interference` for spying on a Buddhist group at the behest of Chinese police, each facing up to 15 years' imprisonment.
- Last year, the AFP opened a probe after an ASIO tip that later led to charges, linking it to a Chinese national charged in August last year for covertly gathering information on Guan Yin Citta in Canberra.
- Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Nutt cautioned Australia is not immune to foreign interference and said culturally diverse communities are more likely victims than offenders.
- Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Lin Jian urged Australia to handle the case prudently and safeguard Chinese citizens' rights, denying knowledge of specifics.
- Authorities say the case underscores how foreign regimes can target diaspora communities, describing such conduct as unacceptable and warning it could deepen tensions over transnational repression in Australia-China bilateral relations.
47 Articles
47 Articles
The Australian police announced Wednesday, February 11, the arrest and indictment of two Chinese nationals for foreign interference. The man and the woman are accused of spying on a Buddhist group from the Chinese diaspora in Australia, on behalf of Beijing.
Australia charges 2 Chinese nationals with foreign interference
Australian police said Wednesday they have charged two Chinese nationals with foreign interference, accusing them of spying on a Buddhist group at the behest of police in China. An Australian Federal Police officer. Photo: Australian Federal Police. The pair — a 25-year-old man and a 31-year-old woman — have each been charged with one count of “reckless foreign interference”, which carries a maximum penalty of 15 years’ imprisonment. When the tw…
Australia charges two Chinese nationals with 'foreign interference'
Two Chinese nationals are set to appear in court on Wednesday, after Australian police charged them with foreign interference on grounds of covertly collecting information about a Buddhist group, on behalf of a Chinese government security agency. It is the second instance of Chinese nationals being charged under foreign interference laws that Australia introduced in 2018, and the pair become the fourth and fifth individuals so charged. The Austr…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 40% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


























