Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

Car dealers still seeking reimbursement for EVs sold under old rebates program

Independent dealerships across Canada claim tens of thousands in unpaid rebates due to submission errors after the 2019-2025 federal EV rebate program paused for funding.

  • On Feb. 16, 2026, the federal electric vehicle rebate program relaunched, but some independent car dealerships remain unpaid and report losses up to $20,000 from the prior program.
  • The program ran for five years before pausing when funding ran out, and Transport Canada briefly reopened a temporary administrative window last summer to accept outstanding claims under the iZEV Program.
  • Transport Canada said errors in submission forms prevented receipt of claims, and Woods's dealership is out $20,000 after reimbursement was refused last month.
  • With the program closed and the portal not opening until April, Transport Canada said all eligible claims submitted before the pause or during the temporary window have been paid, but dealerships remain unsure about re-submitting claims.
  • Huw Williams of the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association said dealers often `front the money`, and with $2.3 billion set aside for the relaunched program, Transport Canada should reimburse those still waiting.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

30 Articles

Lean Left

The return of financial incentives for the purchase of electric vehicles worries dealerships to whom Ottawa owes money under the former program.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Global NewsGlobal News
+25 Reposted by 25 other sources
Lean Left

As new EV rebate program starts, car dealers still seek past reimbursements

The reborn federal electric vehicle rebate program is set to launch Monday — but some of Canada's auto dealers say they're still out tens of thousands dollars from the last one.

·Toronto, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 88% of the sources lean Left
88% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

CTV News broke the news in Canada on Monday, February 16, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal