Published • loading... • Updated
Canada wants Iran government change, increases sanctions
Canada targets seven Iranian officials with new sanctions over repression and calls for regime change amid protests that activists say killed thousands, including one Canadian.
- Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand told The Globe and Mail in Germany that Canada wants regime change in Iran and will not open diplomatic ties unless there is one, also announcing sanctions on seven individuals.
- Since the late-December protests, Iranian-Canadians urged Ottawa for regime change as the Human Rights Activists News Agency reported at least 7,005 deaths, while Iran's government said 3,117 on Jan. 21.
- Canada previously listed the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist entity in June 2024, and Anand co-signed a G7 statement on Iran in January, showing coordinated diplomatic pressure.
- Those developments raise concerns about regional escalation as the European Union followed suit last month calling measures `historic and long-overdue`, while the U.S. increased military assets including a second aircraft carrier.
- With about 300,000 Iranian-Canadians, Canada has taken legal action over the passenger jet shootdown and recently sentenced Nobel laureate Narges Mohammadi to over seven years in prison.
Insights by Ground AI
47 Articles
47 Articles
Coverage Details
Total News Sources47
Leaning Left20Leaning Right6Center6Last UpdatedBias Distribution62% Left
Bias Distribution
- 62% of the sources lean Left
62% Left
L 62%
C 19%
R 19%
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


























