You are connecting from Lake Geneva Public Library, please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.
Published 2 hours ago • loading... • Updated 21 minutes ago
Burnham says he is not embarrassed about hoax Trump aide message exchange
Burnham said the exchange was minimal and quickly reported after he became suspicious, while the British embassy raised concerns with the White House.
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Andy Burnham confirmed he exchanged messages with an impostor posing as White House aide Susie Wiles. Speaking in Wolverhampton, he said he was not embarrassed and reported the incident quickly, describing the exchange as "minimal" consequence.
Reports first emerged Monday via Politico that the British embassy in Washington raised the incident with the White House. A U.S. official clarified Burnham's experience was unrelated to the prior hacking of Wiles' phone.
This incident adds to a history of high-profile hoaxes targeting British politicians, including past attempts involving Lord David Cameron, Priti Patel, and Ben Wallace. In 1998, impressionist Jon Culshaw successfully contacted Downing Street by pretending to be Lord William Hague.
President Donald Trump appeared unaware of the specific incident, telling reporters at the White House that he was "sure that he had a miscommunication." Burnham reiterated correct actions were taken in both the UK and U.S.
The Wall Street Journal reported last year that the FBI launched an investigation into efforts to access Wiles' phone after an unknown person contacted prominent Republicans. These impersonation attempts reveal persistent security challenges facing officials in both America and Britain.