Published • loading... • Updated
Senior couple loses $300K after falling victim to ‘despicable’ scam: Burnaby RCMP
A senior couple lost $300,000 after a scammer impersonated an RCMP officer and convinced them to transfer funds, police said.
- On Jan. 28, the Burnaby RCMP said a senior couple in their 80s reported being scammed out of approximately $300,000.
- A caller claiming to be an RCMP officer told the couple their bank had been hacked and urged transfers to other accounts.
- Over several weeks, the couple moved funds via multiple deposits and purchased gift cards, following the fraudster's instructions to avoid contacting police.
- The seniors grew suspicious and contacted their bank, which advised them to call police, and local police received the couple's report on Jan. 28.
- Police advise that banks or officers will never ask you to transfer money, and if contacted by someone claiming to be an officer, contact your local police to verify identity and report fraud online.
Insights by Ground AI
6 Articles
6 Articles
Coverage Details
Total News Sources6
Leaning Left3Leaning Right0Center2Last UpdatedBias Distribution60% Left
Bias Distribution
- 60% of the sources lean Left
60% Left
L 60%
C 40%
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium




