Australia gun buyback to start in November, PM Albanese says
The scheme will compensate owners for about 274,000 firearms and split costs between the state and federal governments, officials said.
- Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced Saturday that New South Wales will launch a gun buyback scheme on November 2, delivering on a reform promised after the 2025 Bondi Beach terrorist attack that killed 15 people.
- The December 14 attack prompted stricter ownership limits, with approximately 274,000 firearms and 50,000 licence holders now estimated to be affected by the state's reforms.
- NSW Premier Chris Minns stated, "We want those guns handed in, compensated for and safely destroyed," with owners receiving $450 to $1,000 per firearm, or up to $10,000 for expensive models.
- Following a community forum on Saturday, One Nation leader Pauline Hanson stated, "I don't think there should be a buyback," while MP Barnaby Joyce called the scheme "an intrusion of the state into the right of the individual."
- While the Commonwealth urged states to "prioritise efforts" for a national rollout, most jurisdictions remain uncommitted or rejected the measure, leaving the scheme isolated to New South Wales despite initial federal hopes.
77 Articles
77 Articles
Australia's biggest arms buyback in decades now gets a start date. But the national scheme is far from going national.
Australia sets launch for sweeping gun buyback after Bondi Beach terror attack: 'Sensible gun reform' - NEW YORK TIMES POST
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! New South Wales in Australia is slated to begin a gun buyback scheme in November, the first state in the nation to kick-off the program as part of the national response to a shooting spree that killed 15 people at a Hanukkah celebration in the state capital of Sydney, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Sunday. Albanese and New South Wales Premier Chris Minns said the scheme would s…
Australia sets launch for sweeping gun buyback after Bondi Beach terror attack: ‘Sensible gun reform’
New South Wales in Australia is slated to begin a gun buyback scheme in November, the first state in the nation to kick-off the program as part of the national response to a shooting spree that killed 15 people at a Hanukkah celebration in the state capital of Sydney, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Sunday.Albanese and New South Wales Premier Chris Minns said the scheme would start on November 2. People who return eligibl…
Australia sets launch for sweeping gun buyback after Bondi Beach terror attack: 'Sensible gun reform'
New South Wales in Australia is slated to begin a gun buyback scheme in November, the first state in the nation to kick-off the program as part of the national response to a shooting spree that killed 15 people at a Hanukkah celebration in the state capital of Sydney, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Sunday.Albanese and New South Wales Premier Chris Minns said the scheme would start on November 2. People who return eligibl…
Will other states follow NSW into the national gun buy-back scheme – and will it make any difference?
The gun debate in Australia has been dramatically brought back into focus with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and NSW Premier Chris Minns announcing on Sunday that they were in lockstep over a new national gun buyback scheme that is set to start on November 2. Other states have so far refused to join the scheme, or declined to sign on to it. But Minns was firm in his commitment, saying, as a “willing partner” he would take the issue to the next…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 38% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






























