Trump's Gordie Howe bridge threats came after U.S. commerce secretary met with owner of rival Ambassador Bridge: Report
Trump’s threat follows reported lobbying by Ambassador Bridge owner to block Gordie Howe Bridge opening, which could affect $400 million in daily trade, officials said.
- On Monday, a report said Moroun spoke with U.S. secretary of commerce Lutnick, who then contacted the president before Trump posted on Truth Social that he would not allow the Gordie Howe International Bridge to open until the U.S. owned half.
- The bridge company has for years opposed the Gordie Howe project, launching bids to stop it due to reduced traffic on the Ambassador, while James Blanchard said the Moroun family gave money to Mr. Trump's inauguration.
- Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens said the relationship has suffered, with more than a dozen homes demolished last year after city permits, reflecting ongoing municipal efforts to clear vacant properties.
- About $400 million in trade crosses the Ambassador Bridge daily, and a judge recently ruled the toll-rights dispute should head to trial, adding legal uncertainty.
- CBC has not verified the New York Times report, and Dilkens said, `With respect to Mr. Moroun, I have a very good relationship with him,` while critics note the owners' access to officials.
37 Articles
37 Articles
DEXYPTAGE - Donald Trump makes a border bridge between Michigan and Ontario its new point of litigation with Canada.
What to know about Canada’s new bridge to Detroit that Trump hates
President Donald Trump says he intends to block a new bridge connecting the United States and Canada that aims to ease congestion at the busiest trade corridor between the two nations. One person who would enthusiastically support Trump’s threat is a Detroit billionaire who owns an almost century-old bridge nearby and has long tried to scuttle the new crossing, which would connect Detroit to Windsor, Ontario. The billionaire, Matthew Moroun, is …
The owner of the Ambassador Bridge, Matthew Moroun, used a lobbying firm near Trump to obstruct the construction of the Gordie-Howe Bridge.
Trump’s threat against Howe Bridge linked to meeting with Ambassador Bridge owner
David Welch, Josh Wingrove and Thomas Seal, Bloomberg News President Donald Trump’s threat to block a new bridge from Detroit to Canada followed a meeting between his Commerce Secretary and a billionaire who owns an existing border-crossing bridge just miles from the new span, according to two people familiar with the matter. On Monday evening the president said on Truth Social he’d prevent the Gordie Howe International Bridge from opening until…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 40% of the sources lean Left, 40% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


























