New Zealand Forced Into Late Change for First Test Against Springboks
Simon Parker joins the 23-man squad after Anton Segner was ruled out with acute inflammatory arthritis, the team said.
- The All Blacks made a late change to their matchday squad for the first Test against the Springboks at Ellis Park, Johannesburg, on Saturday, August 22, 2026, replacing injured flanker Anton Segner with loose forward Simon Parker.
- Team officials pulled Segner from the bench after he presented with a swollen ankle, which medical staff assessed as acute inflammatory arthritis. His return to play remains undetermined.
- Parker, 26, enters the matchday 23-man squad with experience from seven previous tests for New Zealand after making his international debut in 2025.
- Today's match at Ellis Park marks the first of four tests in the series between the nations. The teams play three games in South Africa before a final fixture in Baltimore, United States.
- English referee Matthew Carley will officiate the encounter, supported by assistant referees Karl Dickson of England and Nika Amashukeli of Georgia. Scotland's Mike Adamson serves as Television Match Official.
11 Articles
11 Articles
New Zealand forced into late change for first test against Springboks
New Zealand have been forced into a late change to their squad for the first test against South Africa at Ellis Park on Saturday as loose forward Simon Parker comes onto the replacements' bench for injured flanker Anton Segner.
Statement: All Blacks star stood down with immediate effect
The All Blacks have been forced into a late change ahead of today’s huge showdown with the Springboks, with Anton Segner ruled out just hours before kick-off. Save us to your Google Favourites for nonstop RUCK content! Segner had been named among the replacements for the clash but has withdrawn after presenting with a swollen ankle. New Zealand confirmed the 25-year-old loose forward has been assessed as suffering from acute inflammatory arthrit…
All Blacks suffer late injury blow
All Blacks coach Dave Rennie has been forced to make a late change to his match 23 for Saturday’s opening Test against the Springboks at Ellis Park. Loose forward Anton Segner has been withdrawn due to a swollen ankle and replaced by Simon Parker on the bench. “Segner presented with a swollen ankle, which has been assessed as acute inflammatory arthritis,” an All Blacks spokesperson said. “His return to play is yet to be determined.” MORE: ‘Gre…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 43% of the sources lean Left, 43% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium












