Alberta pauses health-care coverage change for some international work permit holders
Alberta paused health coverage cuts for temporary foreign workers after concerns about impacts on seasonal hiring in tourism-dependent communities, officials said.
- On Feb. 9, 2026, the Alberta government said it is pausing a policy that would end health coverage for some temporary foreign workers, including working-holiday youth.
- Introduced Jan. 7, the policy change drew attention after a CBC News report last week, prompting scrutiny from officials and community leaders.
- Bow Valley officials say the region relies heavily on seasonal and temporary foreign workers, and employers expect to hire in the next eight weeks as they prepare for summer using Type 58 permits valid for two years.
- Tineke van der Merwe, Bow Valley Immigration Partnership, welcomed the pause and said they need a timeline and clarity, adding `However, we continue to urgently seek clarity`; Kyle Warner, with the ministry of primary and preventive health, called the original change a "premature decision."
- Mayor Richard Ireland warned Friday that matters affecting temporary foreign workers affect the entire community, and Bow Valley Immigration Partnership's van der Merwe said clear public information and timelines for employers are currently lacking, complicating planning in the town of Jasper.
11 Articles
11 Articles
Alberta reconsiders cutting health coverage for some temporary foreign workers after concerns raised
Alberta is reviewing a health coverage change that left some temporary foreign workers without provincial care earlier this year. Meanwhile, the government confirms Type 58 visa holders can apply once again for health care.
Alberta pauses health-care coverage change for some international work permit holders
The Alberta government is hitting pause on a recent policy change cutting off health coverage for some temporary foreign workers, including youth coming to Canada on working vacations. The province quietly introduced the change Jan. 7, but it did not receive widespread attention until a CBC News sto...
Alberta government flip-flops on health coverage cut for some foreign workers
EDMONTON— The Alberta government has paused a recent policy change that would have cut off provincial health-care coverage for some temporary foreign workers, a move that drew criticism from the opposition and concern from communities that rely heavily on migrant labour, including Fort McMurray. Temporary foreign workers make up a notable share of Fort McMurray’s population, particularly in the service and hospitality sectors. The region is also…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 63% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium








