NASA boss blasts Boeing and space agency managers for Starliner’s botched astronaut flight
NASA cites organizational failures, limited oversight, and Boeing’s reliance on subcontractors as key factors in the 2024 Starliner mission mishap classified as Type A.
- On Feb. 19, 2026, NASA announced an independent investigation classified the Boeing Starliner mission a Type A mishap, with NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman leading the press conference.
- Earlier test flights in 2019 and 2022 had shown propulsion anomalies during rendezvous cascaded into multiple RCS thruster failures and a temporary loss of six-degree-of-freedom control.
- After ground hot-fire tests at White Sands, Wilmore and Williams ultimately returned in March 2025 via SpaceX Dragon, extending the mission from 8-14 days to 93 days.
- NASA said it will not fly another crew on Starliner until technical causes are understood, released a 311-page independent investigation report, and will brief Congress, while Boeing faces heavy program costs.
- Moving forward, Isaacman pledged to work with Boeing and preserve multiple crew transportation systems as NASA prepares the Artemis II mission, urging transparency by saying, `To undertake missions that change the world, we must be transparent about both our successes and our shortcomings`.
46 Articles
46 Articles
Nasa published on Thursday (19) the final investigation report on the piloted test mission of the CST-100 Starliner, produced by Boeing. The ship dominated the manchets in the case of the “astronauts that were held in space”, after the journey of up to eight days extended for more than nine months at the International Space Station. The investigation classified the episode with the most serious human flight incident level, recognizing failure of…
Independent report sharply criticizes NASA management, Boeing for troubled Starliner flight
A file photo shows Boeing’s Starliner capsule docked to the International Space Station as the two spacecraft fly over northern Africa toward the Nile Delta. Image: NASA An independent review of the first, and so far only, piloted flight of Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft concluded the test represented a potentially life-threatening “type A” mishap resulting from multiple technical problems and management miscues, NASA officials said Thursday. “Th…
NASA's new chief rebukes Boeing, space agency over problem-plagued Starliner mission that left astronauts stuck in space for months
Astronauts Barry "Butch" Wilmore and Sunita Williams were expecting to spend eight to 10 days in space. They ended up remaining in orbit for 286 days.
NASA head Jared Isaacman, recently installed and considered a neighbor of the billionaire Elon Musk, came back on the problems encountered in 2024 by Starliner at Boeing's first flight to ISS, signaling serious defects to both the aircraft builder and the US space agency, reports AFP and Reuters.
The astronauts aboard the Starliner capsule were in serious danger during the flight, NASA now says.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 55% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium





















