Ceuta Border Rush Leaves About 100 Dead, Thousands in Spain
Juan Jesus Vivas said the enclave still holds 3,000 to 5,000 undocumented migrants after one of the largest crossings into EU territory in recent years.
- On Thursday, Juan Jesus Vivas, head of Ceuta's local government, testified before the European Parliament's Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs that at least 100 people died during mass migrant crossings.
- About 72,000 migrants entered Ceuta last Thursday and Friday, according to Spanish authorities, in what Vivas called an 'invasion' involving numbers roughly equal to the enclave's population of more than 80,000.
- Vivas told MEPs that between 3,000 and 5,000 migrants remain in the city, where two reception centers have 'collapsed' under the strain of the influx, creating a humanitarian emergency.
- European Union migration commissioner Magnus Brunner warned the hearing that the crisis exposed a 'deeper weakness,' noting that Europe's border security relies too heavily on the cooperation of a single neighboring country.
- Morocco rejected responsibility on Monday, arguing Spain should have anticipated the consequences of a court ruling regarding deportations, while Vivas claimed local officials had warned Madrid about rising numbers before the surge.
18 Articles
18 Articles
Ceuta Border Rush Leaves About 100 Dead, Thousands in Spain
Internewscast Journal Internewscast Ceuta President Juan Jesus Vivas said Thursday that an estimated 3,000 to… This Post: Ceuta Border Rush Leaves About 100 Dead, Thousands in Spain first appeared on Internewscast Journal
100 dead during Ceuta border rush
Around 100 people died in the massive border surge that took place in Spain’s Ceuta enclave last week, city leader Juan Jesus Vivas told an EU parliamentary meeting. While many migrants have been turned back to Morocco, between 3,000 and 5,000 migrants
Death Toll Hits Triple Digits, Thousands of Africans Remain in Spanish City in Aftermath of Invasion
It has been a week since the invasion of Ceuta, Spain, and authorities are still dealing with the fallout as thousands remain and the death toll climbs. The BBC reported […] The post Death Toll Hits Triple Digits, Thousands of Africans Remain in Spanish City in Aftermath of Invasion appeared first on The Western Journal.
The president of the autonomous city of Ceuta, Juan Jesús Vivas, this Thursday called for the "shield" of the common border with Morocco, which is "the one of all", and asked for more personal and material resources" in the area. "Our people feel sad, impotent, restless, fearful and concerned. And they have reasons, because it is inevitable to wonder if this will not happen at another time, and that will be the final one for the fall into the ab…
According to the latest information, 100 people have died in the run-up to the Spanish North Africa exclave Ceuta.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






















