Skip to main content
institutional access

You are connecting from
Lake Geneva Public Library,
please login or register to take advantage of your institution's Ground News Plan.

Published loading...Updated

A lawsuit seeks to stop Trump’s overhaul of a 100-year-old public golf course in Washington

Lawsuit claims Trump's plan violates a 130-year-old law and environmental rules, risking pollution and local jobs at a historic public golf course listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • A federal complaint filed Friday in D.C. court says the Trump administration's overhaul of East Potomac Park, including the golf course, breaches an 1897 act that dedicated the land 'forever' for public recreation.
  • Late last year, the U.S. Interior Department cancelled the National Links Trust's 50-year lease, ending its management of three municipal golf courses in Washington, D.C., citing missed improvements while the trust disputes this and says it invested $8.5 million.
  • Plaintiffs warn the project would violate environmental laws and pollute the park on the National Register of Historic Places after the National Park Service began dumping debris from the East Wing of the White House onto the golf course in October.
  • The nonprofit will continue day-to-day management but long-term renovations will stop, plaintiffs say hundreds of local jobs are jeopardized and the U.S. Interior Department and National Park Service declined to comment on litigation.
  • Advocates frame the filing as part of a series of legal battles since January 2025 to reshape public institutions, including a $400 million East Wing ballroom plan and municipal golf course upgrades.
Insights by Ground AI

70 Articles

Center

Golfers from Washington are suing Trump's remodeling plans for East Potomac. They're accusing the Interior Department of skipped exams. An analysis.

CTV NewsCTV News
+8 Reposted by 8 other sources
Center

A lawsuit seeks to stop Trump’s overhaul of a 100-year-old public golf course in Washington

Two golfers in Washington, D.C., sued the U.S. government on Friday to try to prevent the Trump administration from overhauling a more than 100-year-old public golf course, accusing the administration of violating environmental laws and polluting a park that is on the National Register of Historic Places.

·Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 65% of the sources are Center
65% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Independent broke the news in London, United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal